BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Peter Callesen and response

Single-Sheet-Paper-Peter-Callesen-White-Hand
Peter Callesen

Peter Callesen builds hand crafted paper art, which as you can see from the photo, he has cut out a hand and made the remaining pieces into a skeleton hand. He creates these complex designs which no one can compete with because it’s so amazing how he does it.


First Impressions
my first impressions on this piece of work was that I thought it was outstanding because it’s nothing you'd see every day when it comes to origami, which I think is another level of origami and it's interesting because it makes me think how did he do that and why.

What materials and processes have been used?
 In this photo I can see a white A4 piece of paper  with a wooden background and on the A4 paper the artist has cut out a hand and folded it down and made that hand into a skeleton hand using the same paper

Background information
The title of the artwork is white hand the art work is unknown to what year it was produced, but I'd think it'd be around 2005/2006

meaning
I think this work is about age because it could relate to how life is short and so by having a healthy looking hand turned into a skeleton hand shows it. it makes the viewer think on one side how good this artist is at his work and also what is the meaning towards it, which is what I like about it.
The feeling I get from this work is that it amazes me on how talented Peter is.

what do you think of it
What I particularly like about this piece is that its folded into a skeleton hand this is because I would find it so hard to make because I know they'll be some rolling up parts to do but what gets me is that how he gets so much detail into it our of the same paper. if i could change one thing about this artwork, it would be to paint on some blood to give it more of a mysterious meaning to it in which the public will have so many ideas on what it could mean.

last thoughts
my thoughts hasn't changed as much because it's an unknown piece in which I can only explain my views

compare
http://www.langorigami.com/art/monumental/monumental.php
this artist is called Robert J Lang like Peter Callesen he works with paper too but Robert creates life size origami as you can see in the photo. the differences between these two is that Peter Callesen creates more of handheld and framed work, peter creates more of a meaning full behind the work, Robert J Lang creates life sizes pieces, he also creates for people such as the orchestra of DRUPA. the similarities between these two are that they create origami pieces that has human like features such as the two photos that I've collected.




putting the artwork in context
timeline of origami

year of 1440
The earliest evidence of paperfolding in Europe is a picture of a small paper boat in Tractatus de sphaera mundi from 1490. There is also evidence of a cut and folded paper box from 1440.[4] It is possible that paperfolding in the west originated with the Moors much earlier, however it is not known if it was independently discovered or knowledge of origami came along the silk route.
The folding of an Origami crane from the first known book on origami "Hiden senbazuru orikata" published in Japan in 1797.


year of 1954
The modern growth of interest in origami dates to the design in 1954 by Akira Yoshizawa of a notation to indicate how to fold origami models.[5] The Yoshizawa-Randlett standard is now used internationally. Today the popularity of origami has given rise to origami societies such as the British Origami Society and OrigamiUSA. The first known origami social group was founded in Zaragoza, Spain, during the 1940s.[6]

The photos below show the response I have made from the artist Peter Callesen. Using his technique I have taken a photo of my brother and made it into a stencil, looking at the shading from the photo I drew it on a piece of paper. It was tricky to pull off and so I completed it by making a few adjustments making sure that at least most things were attached to the paper so that I could fold it over to the other side making a negative expression.

http://mediacenter.dw-world.de/english/video/#!/228169/Danish_Paper_Artist_Peter_Callesen/Program=7555
                                                                                      

2 comments:

Mr B said...

Hi,
Some great experiments linked to Callesen. Once you complete a proper indepth analysis of the artist, I think you'll be in a better position to make clear conections to your work. You are making links to his ideas and not just the techniques!

MissRobinson said...

Well done on your very interesting outcomes- I know that it was very challenging to create something so detailed.
I have an analysis sheet which would help you to research and explore Callesen’s work further. I think it would be valuable to add information about his motives for creating in this way and the ideas behind his work.